Monday, April 8, 2013

walking {with God}

I am currently captivated by a book titled Walking with God on the Road You Never Wanted to Travel by Mark Atteberry.  Safe to say, the title had me at hello (thanks, Jerry Maguire).  Essentially, what the book communicates is that our trials in life are very similar to the journey taken by the Israelites in their 40 years in the wilderness.  What we fail to take into account though is that the journey itself actually matters.  It is not just about the beginning when the story began or the end when it is all cleared up and everyone leaves happy.  This part, the trek itself, really matters.

Psalm 37:19 - They will survive through hard times; even in famine they will have more than enough.
Trusting God that He is enough {see earlier blog post}.

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who wait on the Lord will find new strength.  They will fly high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not be faint.
It's His timing, not mine.  He really cares about how I'm walking through the wilderness, not as much about whether I get to the end goal.  I am also being taught that it is not my own strength that will keep me walking.  I am faint, but He restores me.

Deuteronomy 10:20 - You must fear the Lord your God and worship Him and cling to Him.
Asking myself the question ' do i worry or worship more?'.  I choose to continue to bear witness to a God who is worthy of being worshipped.  I shutter to think what pain would look like without some hope of a God who promises never to leave me or forsake me.

Matthew 10:18 - This will be your opportunity to tell them about me (God).
I wish that I felt this story was over.  I wish that we could heal our broken hearts, pick up our helmets and walk off the field.  Unfortunately, we truly believe that God has not released us from the call to parent a son on earth.  So, we walk forward in hope and belief, and look forward to giving God the glory for a story that only He could have written.

So, the moral to the story is that I would not have chosen to walk a different road.  For what I am learning on this trek is convincing me that I do want to travel this road.

No comments: